Tuesday, December 19, 2006

I Just Spent 4 Hours Doing The Dumbest Thing Ever


OK, sorry about this PJ and TMM, but I am not yet ready to start speaking English yet. The Kernel compile I undertook the other night went fine, but I was still having problems with my NVidia drivers in that they crashed any time it tried to use the openGL extensions. OK, this means I couldn't play Unreal Tournament. That is not acceptable. Google Earth would crash it too. So, I tried updating and recompiling the NVidia kernel drivers, of course. That didn't work. Bumber.

Since I am using the Ubuntu 'Dapper Drake' release and the 'Edgy Eft' release has been out since mid October, I thought I would try a whole Dist Upgrade. Well, the regular apt-get method did not work, so I decided to do a parallel install and see how it worked out. I downloaded the ISO and burned it, booted into the live-cd and tried the graphical installer. It worked fine, seemingly. But when I tried to reboot I found that grub had the device ordering all screwed up because of my SATA raid. OK, so I installed again with the IDE drives unplugged this time. Score.

I reattach the IDE's and change the drive ordering and Grub boots fine. I login and the first thing I notice is how very unimpressed I am. It looks just like the old release. Anyway, I mount my old home partition in the new /home slot. I relogin in and it looks just like my old home. Cool. I do an update on the packages and notice that their is a new kernel image. OK. Then I note the version on the kernel and note that it is the same as the one I had just replaced on the old release. What?

I check the name on the ISO that I just installed from. KUbuntu 6.06, but I happen to know that Edgy Eft is 6.10 and Dapper Drake is 6.06. I have just spent the last 4 hours upgrading to the version that I already had.

Nice eh? So, I rebooted into the old system and that is where I sit now. Not playing Unreal Tournament and not looking at the workd through Google Earth.

Yay. I'll try again tomorrow.

4 comments:

pjfinn said...

I guess you have to expect these kinds of misunderstandings accasionally when you're dealing with alien life-forms don't you?

Anonymous said...

"I have been using Advanced Gain Pro for 3 months now and I must say I'm simply amazed. I really didn't think the product would have this many benefits. I really only purchased the pills to help the reliability of my erections. But to my surprise every aspect of my penis and sex life has improved. I have larger, harder erections easily, and I can really satisfy my girlfriend fully now."
Dexter, Chicago

Finally! A new pill that really works!

________________________________
Our others products, more info here:
Ultra Allure Pheromones
Anatrim

Speedkill said...

It seems like a lot of people had problems upgrading to Edgy. It's really not that impressive, actually. I've failed to notice many improvements.

Now, I'm going to go try KDE.

Anonymous said...

What ever happened to peace love and understanding? All I see is news on debit card payment software .